I’M STACY. TRAVELLER, WEB DESIGNER & ADVENTURE LOVER
Its hard to pinpoint exactly when I got the bug for travelling. Some time at university maybe. Maybe a little after that.
But its safe to say that once it hit, it stuck. I struggled through 7 years of a demanding corporate job, trying to bury the deep desire to quit it all and book a one way flight to some exotic country.
A trip to Thailand in 2013 changed all that. I fell head over heels in love with a country and a culture that was completely alien to me. And there was no turning back.
I paid off my debts, saved everything I could, and 18 months later in January 2015 I was boarding a one way flight to Bangkok.
Since then life has been a bit of a whirlwind.
I spent 8 months backpacking around Southeast Asia, lived in New Zealand for 10 months, spent another 6 months in Thailand before heading home for a while. Then flew off for another 2 months in New York followed by 4 months in China.
Along the way, I set up a small web design company with my boyfriend and we lived and worked on that as we made our way around the World.
Unfortunately, at some point during that time, depression crept up on me. Looking back, the warning signs were already there during my time in New Zealand but it was only about 6 months later when I returned home from Thailand, that it hit with full force.
I found myself unable to get out of bed, distancing myself from my friends and absolutely incapable of working on my business. This blog stopped in its tracks, along with any desire to travel whatsoever.
Its been a long journey since then and I am still nowhere near to being fully recovered. But I’m making progress. And as I do, I’m starting to regain my interest in all the things I used to love, including this blog.
My life is a little different now. I had to settle down for a bit and step away from my business whilst I focused on my mental health. So naturally this blog will be a little different than it once was.
I’m not entirely sure what this means yet or where this blog will lead, but I’m excited to find out.
If you’re new here, here are a few of my highlights from the past few years:
- Spending a grueling four weeks training in a Muay Thai gym in Bangkok;
- Riding a scooter along deserted mountain roads alongside the Thai/Burmese border;
- Zip-lining through the rainforest in Laos;
- Celebrating Songkran in Laos;
- Canyoning in Dalat, Vietnam;
- Climbing Mount Fansipan, the biggest mountain in Indochina;
- Watching sunrise over the temples of Bagan in Burma;
- Seeing Orang Utans in Borneo;
- Lying on the most amazing beach I have ever seen in Pulau Tioman;
- Drinking champagne beside the World’s highest infinity pool in Singapore;
- Doing a 2 week road trip around New Zealand’s South Island in a campervan;
- Doing a road trip around the Mae Hong Son Loop in Northern Thailand;
- Rum tasting at a tiny distillery in Thailand’s Isaan Province;
- Experiencing the magical Loi Krathong festival in Chiang Mai;
- Visiting the Tibetan region of China’s Sichuan province;
- Setting up my own business; and
- Seeing my family and friends back home after nearly 2 years away.